The Couples Institute
Keynote 02: The Crisis of Infidelity: Managing First Sessions
Ellyn Bader will present a video of a first session with a couple about to separate after a third discovered infidelity. The session, conducted by Ellyn Bader and Peter Pearson, focuses on illuminating how one partner’s unresolved family of origin issues create pain for both partners, contribute to infidelity and inhibit the development of the relationship. After the video presentation, Janis Spring will comment. We all learn more when we see therapeutic work discussed from multiple perspectives.
- Identify 5 early stage treatment issues when infidelity is revealed
- Identify underlying unresolved trauma and demonstrate to the partners how this contributed to infidelity
- Demonstrate understanding of avoiding getting pulled into the blame/shame cycle
- Demonstrate learning of preventing the critical mistake of rushing to smooth things over too quickly
- Elicit insight and accountability without alienating either partner