The Couples Institute
Workshop 05: Strong Leadership in Couples Therapy: How the Developmental Model Helps You (Part 1)
Being a highly skilled couples therapist requires strong leadership especially in early sessions. Here you set the tone, establish your role and the clients role, solidify your credibility, assess what is wrong and why, and chart a clear direction, all while preventing regression, creating hope, and stimulating individual accountability. Not an easy task!
This is a two-part workshop designed to take you on a journey from assessment to resolution. Following video segments from one couple, you will see the interplay between effective assessment and targeted intervention in couples work.
In the course of this four-hour workshop, Bader will demonstrate how the Developmental Model enables you to:
- Demonstrate understanding of asking effective questions
- Identify each partner’s level of differentiation and create effective goals
- Analyze enmeshment and push each partner’s development
- Analyze conflicts surrounding intimacy avoidance
Knowing this approach will enable you to be a strong leader in early sessions without creating unnecessary traps for yourself.
- Reveal how to use assessment as an intervention
- Assess each partners level of differentiation using 6 criteria
- Interrupt enmeshment in a blended family